Saturday 18 June 2011

Steffi's post

Hello all,

Following on from yesterday's brief meeting, here are my thoughts:

As I said after the seminar, with regard to the thematic focus of the symposium it strikes me as very interesting if the event would constitute an extension of the PhD seminars that have been and are taking place, where artists/researchers from different disciplines are meeting and discussing creative practice as well as research in practice as such. In my own research it has often been invaluable to me to witness art practice from another discipline, as well as to have conversations on creative practice with artists from different disciplines to my own, such as painters and musicians. Such cross-disciplinary exchanges often allow to highlight specific aspects that might not be easily identified if one remains within the discourses of one's own discipline, as the discourses and vocabularies that are in use seem to differ across disciplinary art practices. It would seem interesting to me to open this symposium to musicians, creative writers, performance-makers as well as artists (fine arts), in order to allow for conversations to take place around creative processes and emergences in art practice at large.
It would be great to hear back from you what you think about this, and we could all try to identify key research questions and begin to outline the area of investigation in more detail.

With regard to the date and venue of the event, I feel the Centre for Creative Collaboration might be a rather small venue to run it in. I have spoken to various people at Trent Park and they are sure that we can find a weekend where various studios as well as one of the theatres would be available for a symposium. This would allow contributors to present work in theatres and studios, alongside papers and panels. What do you think?
I also feel that running the event any time this year is very tight, as much would need to be organised still. I can propose to look out for a weekend where suitable spaces are available at Trent Park from around February and March, or any other dates that we agree on.

I also thought it might be useful if each PhD student had a profile somewhere on the Mdx website. I can ask whether that's a possibility, if you are interested. It might be good to put everybody out there officially before we begin advertising anything, with details on your research and experiences. Are you interested, would you like me to ask whether this would be possible? Maybe we could even have a website linked to the university website. I can ask if you think this might be useful but cannot promise anything!!

Here is an initial list of things I can think of that we need to work on:

- create a document that outlines the thematic focus of the symposium, with key research questions
- identify a suitable date in researching related conferences and symposia, making sure they would not clash (check in all areas, dance, theatre, music, writing...)
- find and secure a suitable venue, also enquiring about catering possibilities
- identify contributors that we would like to invite
- create a call for contributions (practitioners, academics, PhD students?)
- create a website?
- calculate costs
- what funding do we need and where can we apply?
- fee for symposium?
- (later on: list of suggested accommodation etc)

Again, I think all this needs a bit of time, and once the call goes out, we need to give people time to create an application, I would say at least two months, but best longer, also sending reminders. And then there should be a good two or three months between the time we confirm applicants and the event taking place, so that they can confirm their participation and we create a schedule, they can book etc...

Lots to do!! Let me know your thoughts. Am flexible on everything, this is simply what I arrived at and what is going through my head right now! You might have a very different conception of the event, I am happy to follow your ideas.

Best wishes,
Steffi=

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Steffi for this detailed thoughts.
    In regard to date, I don't mind if you think that it would take more time to organise but we should be careful next spring a lot of people will be in their last year, just trying to finish on time for their studentship, well I know it will be my case! we originally talked about October because, it was going to be after most people have transfered and it could have been a good platform to show and discuss work then. I guess it could be November or December. Perhaps it is a different kind of event but I was not present at the meeting last week and you might have discuss this already. In regard to Steffi's suggestion to open it to all art disciplines, I have already expressed my opinion about this so I will be happy with whatever people want to do. I think that as an extension of the seminar it makes sense to open it up but the issues between disciplines are different and at the risk of sounding exclusive I would have been happy to stay within the scope of the live act of performance.Perhaps it is because I am currently involved with 65 inter-disciplinary artists on a project and I found it very hard to communicate. It would be great to hear more views of this from others ...as for the student profile, it would be great Steffi if we could have an entry on MDx website, let me know if you want me to help with that. In order to be able to post you need to accept the invitation I have originally sent, let me know if you experience any problem
    Noyale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Thank-you both for your detailed posts and apologies for my delayed response. Here are my thoughts -

    Symposium thematic focus - having discussed this when we met I agree that it would be very interesting and relevant (as an extension of the seminars) to focus on interdisciplinary artist-researchers exchanges. I am particularly interested in the differing creative processes across the disciplines that are present in our seminar group. I understand your point about finding it difficult to communicate on the inter-disciplinary project that you are currently involved in Noyale, but perhaps that difficulty could be a point of interest for the symposium? I would suggest that perhaps we open this out to all the members of the seminar group through an email invitation to the blog, and to be involved in the planning process, what do you think?Perhaps we can individually propose some key research questions as a starting point to be discussed in our next meeting?

    Venue - Steffi showed us around the various spaces at Middlesex and I think that it would be a suitable venue for the event, with guaranteed spill-out spaces, and appropriate performance spaces with sprung floors and pianos available. I do like the Centre for Collaboration but feel it is a little small in this instance. Also it would be good to enliven Middlesex as a space, and to involve the artists who are now in residence at Trent Park.

    When - I am nervous about committing to the Autumn term, partly because personally I will have limited time as I may be going to Japan for a project and teaching. But also because I feel that we do need more time to plan this well and allow time to publicise and for people to write papers etc. February would be my preferred month, but I am of course flexible.

    Profile - Yes please Steffi I think it would be fantastic if we could have a postgraduate individual profile page on the Mdx website, let me know if I can help with this.

    Can I propose that we plan a date for an in depth meeting to discuss all this? Then we can work through the comprehensive list that Steffi has provided of things we need to do.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete